Sunday 5 February 2012


ASAC Shore Match 4th February 2012
The first shore match for the club in the calendar, was fished at the Arbroath area. On arrival the sea looked very fishable with a severe bitter chill in the wind and unfortunately a fair bit of rain - although there was a fair bit of snow whilst driving through Dundee, but thankfully none in Arbroath.

9 members attended the match, including Stuart Cresswell, John Wilson, Iain Grant, Chris Grant, Malky, Shane Wilson, Will Miller, Robert Edmond and of course myself.

Big stu and myself opted to give easthaven a bash, whilst Iain, Malky, John & Chris opting for the beach at Ballies, Will & Shane were blown off at Rhumness and when I phoned them for an update they were found to be it he McDonald's in Arbroath... You'll catch no coddies there guys!! And Robert fishing the shore at Vicki park.

The match commenced at 3pm with the low tide at 17.46 stuart and myself fishing at easthaven, we fished almost 3 hours down and went for a stroll whilst waiting for the tide to turn and try and get some heat back in our digits as mine were in the process of turning blue.

Upon the tide turning we fired our baits out again, resulting in stu getting a double shot with fish around the 3lb mark, then as I'm enviously looking on, I turn to see my rod bouncing in the stand... Happy days!! I won't be going home to the caption of "Screwdriver" this day, and lift is nice fish of what I thought was around the 4lb mark, blank off at least!! I then managed another 4 fish also around the 3lb mark, with stu managing another 4 fish to add to his bag. Then the fishing seems to drop off so stu opts to move further along the beach to another gully, thankfully it's on route back to the car anyway, upon arriving i decide to just fish the one rod, bait up and fire it out, stu, still fishing 2 rods lands another 4 baits out in the gully, stand for a bit, trying to work the blood back into my fingers then notice a knock on stu's rod, I give him a holler and he returns to lift yet another double shot on to the rocks... BUT then I get a knock too and after a few bites then nothing I eventually tire of the torment and lift into another wee fish. Match finished at 10 so we head back to the weigh in.

Turns out that the others didn't fare to well at their chosen venues, with the only others lifting fish were Malky & Shane - pestered by he weed at ballies. Robert Edmond had already headed home due to the lack of fish, with will and Shane heading off for some further torture else where... Oh to be young again...wheres my bed!!

Round up... Well conditions looked good when we arrived and there were big hopes for numbers of fish, unfortunately this wasn't the case - still nice to get out and wet a line for my birthday and top up the freezer again with some nice platter sized fillets!! Results as follows....

1st with the heaviest bag ... Stuart Cresswell ... 24lb 11 - hst fish 3lb 7 (8 fish)

2nd with heaviest fish ... Jamie Soons ... 3lb 14 (hst fish) - bag of 13lb 3 (6 fish)

3rd Malky with 1 fish for 3lb 7

4th Shane Wilson with 1 fish for 2lb